Great nutrition is essential for a healthy mind and body. One way to achieve abundant nutrition is to build meals that are consistently balanced in macronutrients. Keep reading to find out more about how to build a macro bowl for every meal.
What are Macronutrients?
Macronutrients include carbohydrates, fats, and proteins; these are the major components of food that provide energy to the body. Macros are also what makes up the calories that occur in food.
The food that you eat impacts your body exponentially. There are many studies that show the connection between your overall health and your balance of nutrients. New research finds that your food choices may also affect your mood and mental health. This is sometimes called the “food-mood connection.” This means that choosing the correct balance of foods can positively impact your mood and overall mental health. Let us show you how to build a macro bowl for every meal.
Create a Macro Bowl
Macro bowls are the definition of a balanced meal. That means that ever macro bowl contains fat, protein, and carbohydrates in a ratio that makes sense for how it is utilized by the body. Follow these easy steps to create a macro bowl today:
- Pick your carbs (or grains) – 1/2 to 1/3 of your bowl should be complex carbs. That includes brown rice, white rice, quinoa, chickpea pasta, barley, buckwheat, millet or sweet potatoes.
- Pick some low starch green vegetables – veggies are always a great idea! Add in some leafy greens for added micronutrients. This includes baby spinach, kale, broccoli, and herbs. Other options for vegetables that are low starch that can be added to a macro bowl include cucumber, eggplant, cauliflower, and capsicum.
- Choose your protein – add 5 ounces of chicken of fish, or 1 to 2 eggs or 1/3 cup tofu to create the right balance of protein.
- Find your fats – fats are usually easy to fit in because they add flavor to your food! Choose from avocado, nuts, cheeses, or oils to add sauces or flavors to the bowl.
- For an added bonus add ferments – Kimchi, sauerkraut, or Greek yogurt add great probiotics to your digestive track. Add this to your bowl for both flavor and benefits!
Five Macro Bowls to Try
- Mexican Macro Bowl – Kale, black beans, quinoa, guacamole, and chicken
- Salmon Bowl – sweet potatoes, broccoli, purple cabbage, salmon, avocado
- Coconut Rice with Tofu – jasmine rice, coconut milk, tofu, kimchi, sliced cucumber, and avocado
- Balsamic Chicken and Quinoa – quinoa, lemon, chicken, balsamic vinegar, lettuce, feta cheese, and kalamata olives
- Tropical Macro Bowl – brown rice, shrimp, coconut flakes, soy sauce, pineapple, broccoli florets, cabbage, pumpkin seeds
Do you love macro bowls? Share with us your favorite recipes! We love to talk with you on social media.
Great nutrition is essential for a healthy mind and body.